Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cosplay at Akihabara







On January 3, I was on a commuter train heading to Sugamo section of Tokyo, but happened to see some event happening on a plaza in Akihabara section. I decided to get off the train to see what was going on. It turned out to be a big cosplay convention that spilled out to the outdoor plaza from adjacent tech skyscrapper. There were young girls and boys in their teens and early twenties dress up like their favorite anime characters. And there were middle aged men feverishly taking their pictures. My companion tells me that the photographers are probably both professionals(press from some magazine covering the convention) and amatuers(hobbists who collects cosplay youth photos). I notice cute girls in Lolita dresses surrounded by two or three photographers. I see boys in full make up and French maid outfits. Admission fee is required to enter the convention and to take photos, but I sneak some snap shots. I was more facinated by the interaction between posing cosplayers and the photographers than the cosplayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment